Sunday, June 17, 2007

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was

I didn't have anything to blog about and I knew I wanted to get fathers day in there. I thought it would be interesting to see which website came up number one for the google search term "happy fathers day". In that search I found Wilstar.com.

I found some great father/dad quotes, like my title. That was said by Anne Sexton. The quote is especially important to me I think because I lost my father a few years ago, right when I started college. I was only 18, and we had a lot of problems over the years as I grew up.

Now I have a son of my own, so I guess fathers day is still a day I can celebrate.

"A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father." -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." -- Sigmund Freud

"Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!" -- Lydia M. Child

"It is a wise father that knows his own child." -- William Shakespeare

And a little bit of fathers day history

President Calvin Coolidge, in 1924, supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Then in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day. President Richard Nixon signed the law which finally made it permanent in 1972.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Have updated your link

Teatree